Friday, December 7, 2012

Police "Stop Short" Of Declaring Double Murder/Suicide


"BULLHEAD CITY, AZ — Bullhead City police are investigating the deaths of three people, including a city employee, found in a Merrill Avenue home Thursday morning.

"The dead have been identified as Robert Bryan Ulan, 53, Valerie Jean Ulan, 47, and Jay Jeffrey Artz, 17, according to a city press release.

"Officers were called to the residence in the 2400 block of Merrill when Valerie Ulan’s employer reported that she had failed to show up for work at 8 a.m., city spokesman Steve Johnson said. Attempts to reach her by telephone were unsuccessful, he said, which led alarmed colleagues to quickly contact police.

"The incident remains under investigation, Johnson said, but police do not believe anyone else is involved yet stopped short labeling it as a double-murder followed by a suicide.

"`With the evidence we’ve collected so far we have no reason to believe this incident involves anyone except these three people,` said police deputy chief Brian Williamson.

"Johnson said authorities `have some suspicions` concerning the causes of death, but are not currently releasing that information.

"All three appear so far to have perished in the same manner, he said.

"Brian Ulan had been employed by the city since 1999, working most recently in the Wastewater Division.

"Artz, a student at Mohave High School, was a relative of Valerie Ulan, Johnson said."


Source: Mohave Valley Daily News...

3 comments:

  1. This was a tragic, ongoing case of domestic abuse by Robert Ulan. He had threatened his wife and stepson, Jay, for years. Outside of family, Valerie never uttered a word about her ordeal, and co-workers of Ulan said that while they didn't like him, they never suspected he would murder his family. He was known to carry a handgun at all times, drank frequently to excess, and had a violent temper. He had a daughter by a first marriage, which thankfully survived living with him.

    A sister, Lynda Ulan-Sledzieski came to Bullhead to claim her brothers' cremains. Unbelievably, she heaped more abuse upon Valeries' family in a phone call demanding his belongings, immediately. Cruelty must run in the family. These murders took a mother and brother from a sole surviving daughter, and an only daughter from her widowed mother. Her only brother, three nephews, and dozens of cousins are left wondering how this could ever happen to someone as solidly good as Valerie.

    The only mercy, is that Robert Bryan Ulan, after such a horrifically cowardly act, shot himself dead shortly after the murders. This will spare the family from ever hearing his voice again, or enduring a trial. Knowing he is gone forever, will allow them all to grieve with some sense of finality.

    Valerie and Jay will be buried with their own names, wiping out any future association with the man who imprisoned them for far too long.



    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone with a past relationship with Robert Ulan, I am not shocked by this. His family has always behaved in this manner. Towards the end of my abusive relationship with him, he shot my kitten with a 10 mm pistol to hurt me. He also stated that "this isn't worth killin you over yet" It became so bad, that I alerted my attorney to all this. I think that was one of his ways of controlling/getting in your head, to make threats like that. For years any time I saw someone with the same build or a full beard and mustache, my heart would skip a beat. I always wondered if he would come after me and kill me. I am so sorry for this tragic loss. My heart and prayers go out to Valerie and Jeffery's family. True evil does exist and I'm so sorry for this family. Also, I know that Bob had many unregistered guns at his disposal. Please accept my condolences. I will not sleep for a long time to come knowing your family is going through this. I don't know how his daughter or first wife are dealing with this either. God's blessings and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have known Jay and Valerie my whole life... Jay and I went to preschool together. And have been best friends since. One time I went over to their house right after they moved to Merrill, Bob put Jay in his room forcefully for no reason and laughed about it.. Valerie got onto him about it, but I could tell she was scared. I didn't go over to their house very much after that. But I have always for years asked Jay how he was... He would roll his eyes and say, hes been a jerk but its no big deal. Or he took my phone and went through it and read every message. He had Facebook posts about how Bob called him so many horrible things.. I think the Authorities knew about what was going on.. But that's just what I had heard. My heart goes out to Brittany who's been like a sister to me.. None of them deserved this and I don't think anyone could have known this was going to happen. I don't know how anyone could be that cruel... My heart goes out to all those who are grieving and just know that they will always be here with us. Jay and Valerie were the most genuine and good hearted people I have ever known. I am blessed that I have known them and that they were part of my life.

    ReplyDelete